In our meet the staff series, we talk to Dr Jason Nurse, Senior Lecturer in the School of Computing, member of the Cyber Security research group and a member of the Kent Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Cyber Security (KirCCS).
- What three words would you use to describe yourself?
Driven, engaging and (often) hilarious.
- What inspires you in your work?
I thoroughly enjoy solving new problems and addressing issues that touch on new forms of technology
- When did you first realise your interest/passion for your role?
During my undergraduate degree, I developed a real love for computing and technology. There was always some new device or gadget to explore, and that kept my interest from then up until now!
- What would you say was your greatest achievement?
It’s hard to pin down one achievement as my greatest. I’ve completed a doctorate degree, which was great. But I’ve also had the opportunity to speak to hundreds of people about my research, potentially impacting several people’s lives and even government policy.
- What would you say is the best part of your job?
Research and teaching, definitely. Research keeps me at the cutting edge of the developments in my field, i.e., cyber security, and teaching allows me to pass on the knowledge I gain to a new generation of keen students.
- Why did you choose to work at the University of Kent?
I chose to work at Kent because of its excellent reputation in cyber security research and teaching. The University of Kent is recognised as an Academic Centres of Excellence in Cyber Security Research by the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) and the EPSRC.
- What has been a personal highlight for your achievements in your work?
For my work, I was nominated as a Rising Star within a RISE awards campaign. RISE stands for Recognising Inspirational Scientists and Engineers, and is an initiative by the UK funding body, EPSRC, to recognise outstanding researchers and their efforts.
- Where is the most interesting place you have been?
Iceland. It’s truly amazing. I’d definitely suggest the glacier hikes!
- What are your proudest achievements outside of your work?
I’m quite excited about the various places I have travelled to. These span from South America and the Caribbean, to Iceland, Asia and Australia
- What has been your greatest challenge?
Studying for my doctorate degree. Hands down. That was tough (but enjoyable!)!
- What do you like most about Canterbury?
Canterbury’s a beautiful place to live, it’s close to the sea side, and I love the fresh air!
- If you could pick anyone throughout history, to talk to, who would it be and why?
Sun Tzu. I find his compiled text, The Art of War, fascinating, especially how it applies to modern day cyber security activities.