Dr Anna Jordanous – Senior Lecturer

Anna Jordanous

Senior Lecturer Anna Jordanous is based at the Medway campus. Anna is part of the Computational Intelligence Research Group and the Data Science Research Group. We found out a little more about her as part of our series of meet the staff chats.

1. What three words would you use to describe yourself?
    Rebellious. When. Being. Restricted.
  2. What inspires you in your work?I
    I love learning about new things and doing interesting geeky things that no one else has thought of. I  also enjoy getting tricky things working and then being able to chat about it.
  3. When did you first realise your interest/passion for your role?
    I knew I wanted to do a PhD when I was applying for my undergraduate course at university, though it took a while before I actually got round to it and came back to academia.
  4. What would you say was your greatest achievement?
    My marathon personal best (just over 4.5 hours). Not the fastest in the world, but respectable.
  5. What would you say is the best part of your job?
    I can follow up new ideas and try things out, with freedom to make mistakes along the way and to line up my own research direction.
  6. Why did you choose to work at the University of Kent?
    I was looking for a permanent lectureship after a few years as a postdoctoral researcher, and some vacancies at Kent came up. I’d been to visit Kent before to give a talk and knew a lecturer already here, through my research. When I came for the interviews, I got a very good ‘gut feeling’ that it was the right place to come and work.
  7. What has been a personal highlight for your achievements in your work?
    Being a ‘talking head’ on a Sky Arts documentary about computers being creative.
  8. Where is the most interesting place you have been?
    I’ve been very lucky and have travelled a lot with work. South Korea was fascinating. The most striking experience I’ve had has been seeing the spread between the rich and the poor in Mexico City.
  9. What are your proudest achievements outside of your work?
    The achievements I’m most proud of aren’t actually my own – my daughter’s development is a constant source of pride to me. She’s already far cleverer than her mum. For myself, I guess my running achievements and also musical achievements – I enjoy performing a lot. Just a show-off, I guess? There’s something else I’m training for at the moment, but it’s top secret for now!
  10. What has been your greatest challenge?
    Not sure if this is my greatest challenge, but certainly my most recent – returning to work with a baby who woke every 1-2 hours during the night, feeling unable to string words together in any kind of coherent form, then having to stand up and give lectures…
  11. What do you like most about the Medway campus?
    I love the size and friendliness of the Medway campus. Being a small campus, we can get to know each other well across the different schools, centres, professional services and students.
  12. If you could pick anyone throughout history, to talk to, who would it be and why?
    I’d go back and talk to my dad, who passed away in the 1990s. Another chat with him would be wonderful.