Jemimah Meshe – Project Manager and Scrum Master

Jemimah Meshe

Name: Jemimah Meshe
Degree Course: Business Information Technology with a Year in Industry
Graduated: 2018
Current role: Project Manager & Scrum Master

Why did you choose Kent?

I chose the University of Kent due to the structure of the degree program which I was interested in pursuing. When looking for a University to attend, I realised that this institution had a wide range of modules which I knew would assist me in my future aspirations.

Furthermore, I clearly remember attending the University’s open day sometime in 2014 and listening to my course students discussing their various experiences whilst in their placement year.

It was inspiring to hear the exciting challenges faced, the networks acquired and most importantly how marketable they become after their placement year.

What attracted you to the course?

I have always had a strong interest in technology since my secondary school days. I was fascinated with the elements of combining both Business and Technology together. Furthermore, I also wanted to learn more about the external facing aspects of technology, the meeting of business needs and the interface with users and various systems.

Did you do a year in industry? If so where and how useful was it in getting a graduate job?

I chose to undertake a year in industry so that I could be exposed to a multitude of roles within the IT sector and beyond.

I completed a year in industry at The Walt Disney Company Headquarters in London as a Technology & Operations intern. This opportunity enabled me to gain a deeper understanding of how a global entertainment company such as Disney operates.

Working as an Intern at The Walt Disney Company was one of the best experiences and such an invaluable opportunity. During my year in industry, I learnt so many things about myself and acquired worthy skills which completely revamped my thought process and made me an extremely mature, confident and independent individual.

Due to my experience at this reputable company, I was able to secure a graduate job within the first 3 months of my final year at University. It was such a relief to accomplish such before my final exams and graduation.

Could you describe your career path since leaving Kent?

Since graduating with a First class honours, I secured a graduate role at an Investment bank based in London namely BNP Paribas as a Project Manager.

It has been almost 3 years since I commenced employment at BNP Paribas and I am so grateful for the opportunity to have launched my career in such an organisation. This has greatly challenged and enabled me to consolidate my academic learning and present job role.

In my current role as a Project Manager & Scrum Master, I work with an International facing team dealing with sponsors and colleagues worldwide. I have learnt a great deal about the application of technology, the context of a global business and most importantly about my own skill set and aspirations.

Finally, what advice would you give to someone thinking of coming to Kent?

University of Kent is an amazing place to pursue one’s degree program. Furthermore, my advice for any prospective student is to consider undertaking a year in industry. Finally, I must mention the support I received from the members of the Kent placement team; they were wonderful.