Azeez Adeogun – A Career in Data Analytics

Azeez Adeogun

Azeez Adeogun
Business Information Technology with a year in Industry

Why did you choose Kent?

The University of Kent has good industry links and a highly reputable business school. I wanted to complete my degree from a prestigious university and significantly improve my career prospects.

What attracted you to the course?

I particularly liked the idea of a year in industry. The opportunity to gain invaluable work experience whilst earning a salary and building a network of contacts. Additionally, I have always had a profound passion for business and information technology, so it was a no brainer.

Did you do a year in industry? If so where and how useful was it in getting a graduate job?

I worked at ARM Holdings over in Cambridge for 12 months in a multifaceted role receiving exposure to different teams and projects. The experience gained helped me to land my first job after university.

How did your degree course lay the foundations for your chosen career path?

The amalgamation of Business and Information Technology has equipped me with strong technical skills and business acumen. My current role at IQVIA, working as a Data Analyst plays to this strength as I can write complex queries in SQL Server and present my findings to key stakeholders during meetings.

Could you describe your career path since leaving Kent?

Certainly! After leaving Kent I worked at Lloyd’s Banking Group as a contractor for digital transformation. My role involved working on large scale infrastructure projects and creating interactive data visualisations using Tableau & Power BI to help solve complex business challenges.

At present, I am working at IQVIA as a Data Analyst responsible for developing predictive analytics tools to help automate tasks. There is also scope for career advancement and to specialise in business intelligence.

Could you describe a typical day in your current role?

Liaising with the offshore technical team in Bangalore, India to understand how we could write complex SQL queries to automate reporting and showcase the power of data analytics. Afterwards, there is usually a client meeting whereby one member of the team presents a data visualisation and explains what impact this could have for their business.

What are your future plans/aspirations?

I plan to complete a master’s degree in data science before working as a Data Scientist with specialisation in artificial intelligence. I strongly believe data is the future and I want to be at the forefront of this field by helping to drive progressive change.

Do you have any other happy memories of Kent that you would like to share with us?

The Nightlife was always legendary! I thoroughly enjoyed travelling to the Canterbury campus and catching up with friends.

Finally, what advice would you give to someone thinking of coming to Kent?

Really try and maximise your university experience by participating in extracurricular activities and careers fairs. Lectures and staff are always willingly to help and are passionate about helping students to succeed,

Career Development Timeline