The thrill and excitement that I felt when I made my first app made me realise that this is something that I would love to do for my entire life

Ruksar Kachchhi, from India, has a Bachelor’s degree in business administration. She is studying on the conversion Master’s degree programme, the Computer Science MSc.

Why did you decide to study a conversion Master’s in Computing?

Although I enjoyed studying Business Administration, I didn’t feel it was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I have always loved computers and I learned the basics of various languages when I was in school, but I never thought of it as a career choice. Then, my brother persuaded me to learn Java for Android development. I took a few courses on Udacity and started building applications for Android. The thrill and excitement that I felt when I made my first app made me realise that this is something that I would love to do for my entire life.

And why did you choose to come to Kent?

I came to the UK to visit my sister, and I was looking for a good university to do a Master’s in computer science. I visited the University of Kent on an open day and got the opportunity to discuss my plans with one of the lecturers here. I took a walk around the university campus and I truly felt that this is the place I would want to be.

What kind of academic support do you receive? How easy has it been to start studying a new discipline at postgraduate level?

All the lecturers have been very considerate and forthcoming when approached with a problem. While it is natural to feel intimidated when entering a new field, my experience at the University of Kent has indeed changed my outlook. I do not feel that doing a Master’s in a new discipline is a mammoth task.

Which part of the course are you finding most enjoyable?

I love doing the assessments as they help me understand and practise everything that I have learned during the lectures.

What are the other students on your course like?

There are students from various backgrounds. One of my friends has a Bachelor’s degree in physics, another one has a Bachelor’s in business administration like me. Everyone is very friendly and we all help each other.

Are you planning to do an industrial placement?

Yes, I will be doing an industrial placement as part of my course. I haven’t yet decided where to apply though – there are so many possibilities! I am very excited about it and I am looking forward to it.

How do you think this MSc will benefit you in your career?

I want to be a data scientist and I think that this Master’s degree will give me the essential skills I require to get into the field.

What advice would you give to anyone considering this programme?

I would recommend getting some basic training in programming prior to joining the University. Also, I have noticed that students are often reluctant to ask questions. Computer programming is such a varied field – there are always going to be things you want to know and if you don’t ask it impedes your ability to succeed.