Level 7 Senior Leader Apprenticeship – Case Study

Seetharam Krishnamurthy is Deputy General Manager, Acute Medicine and Geriatrics at Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Hospital Trust. He is currently studying a two-year Level 7 Senior Leader Apprenticeship at Kent Business School.

“The Innovation modules have really changed the way I think”

Having worked as an occupational therapist, furthering my education was important to grow into leadership roles in the non-clinical side of the NHS. My current job involves managing the operational elements for emergency and medicine, acute stroke and geriatrics and adult care.

The Level 7 Senior Leader Apprenticeship at Kent Business School appealed to me because they offered a greater amount of face-to-face study and the modules looked varied and interesting. The campus at Kent is wonderful and as I thrive on social interaction, I wanted to ensure I could physically study there.

Balancing studying and a busy full-time job (and, like me, young children too!) is not an easy thing, but the application of the learning within your working role is so beneficial.  I have gained so much – the modules on Finance enable me to understand financial reports and meant I can collaborate with the finance departments; management and operational modules have helped mould me into a responsible leader and have really aided the way I deal with employee wellbeing, imperative during a global pandemic and a time of crisis in the NHS.

The Innovation modules of the Level 7 Senior Leadership Apprenticeship were by far my favourite and have really changed the way I think and view my profession. The final business proposal that I am submitting for the MBA course is based on augmented reality in clinical training – an exciting area that I really want to explore.

As well as the academic experience, the MBA cohort comes from far and wide in all corners of business.

I have made lifelong friends and contacts.

The University of Kent has delivered higher apprenticeships since 2011, working with industry-leading employers across a variety of industry sectors and public organisations. For more information, visit http://www.kent.ac.uk/apprenticeships  

AMBA-accredited, Kent Business School’s MBA is underpinned by our high-quality research and informed by the global outlook of our international community. It builds on your current experience to transform you into a responsible business leader.