Apprentice Case Study: Level 5 Laboratory Scientist

During National Apprenticeship Week 2020 Tyler kindly shared with us some highlights and her general experience of the Level 5 Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship:

Name:  Tyler Harvey-Cowlishaw

Employer: School of Life Sciences, University of Nottingham

Apprenticeship: Laboratory Scientist – Applied Bioscience

Tyler Harvey-Cowlishaw

I am based in the School of Life Sciences at the University of Nottingham, in two separate research labs. My main lab is an immunology lab focusing on cell culture and flow cytometry, here I take on more of a lab management role rather than hands on research. I carry out the orders, ensure health and safety is maintained, carry out lab inductions and focus on the general up keep and maintenance of the lab.

My second lab is ecology focused, here I vary out various research into insects and arthropods. I currently am carrying out studies into the presence of a range of endosymbionts in various spider species. As well as my lab technician role I am also a mental health first aider and dignity advisor for the University of Nottingham. I often attend technical conferences or company events as part of my working schedule, and outreach is always a fun aspect of the job.

“Due to the vast array of responsibilities everyday on the job is different.”

I chose to carry out a degree apprenticeship rather than a typical undergraduate degree. I based this decision on the back of me being a single mother, I found it a much more financially stable option to work while studying. The University of Nottingham provides great flexibility to parents, so that we can balance our parenting and work responsibilities much more easily. As a technician most of the skills required for the job are as suggested, technical. These sorts of skills you can only acquire from hands on experience, this is what an apprenticeship provides. Years of hands on experience to take into the future.

My personal highlight so far was when I was asked to speak at the Nottingham’s International Women’s conference last year about my experience as an apprentice at the University of Nottingham. This gave me a chance to really showcase degree apprenticeships and to encourage other young mums to aspire for their career goals.

“I would absolutely encourage people to take on an apprenticeship. It is a great opportunity to learn as you get paid. Often the degrees are paid for you by your employer so there will be no student debt at the end of your apprenticeship. The work place connections you make will become invaluable, in apprenticeships you can really push yourself to make an impression on your employer greatly increasing your opportunities in the future.”