Q&A with Journalism student Shay Rogers on being a #JSTFellow

Shay Rogers profile photograph

“A wealth of experience has been passed on to me which is almost invaluable”

How did you become involved in the John Schofield Trust Fellowship scheme?

Our university got involved with the Trust and encouraged us all to apply. I was a bit tentative at first, not knowing much about what they do, but it turned out to be an excellent decision.

What’s your mentor like?

My mentor, Amar Mehta, Sky News reporter, is a great guy. He’s always around to offer me advice if I need it, whether it be on work or life. Having someone to talk and relate to about what you do can really help you relax sometimes when you’re stressed out or need a bit of guidance – I couldn’t have asked for a better mentor. We meet once every two or so months. Everyone has a tight schedule in the Journalism world so it’s important to be flexible!

Can you tell us what kind of things you’ve gained from being involved?

A wealth of experience has been passed on to me which is almost invaluable. The time to sit down and discuss your craft is another aspect which is really important – it’s good to always be thinking how can I be better/develop my skills? Above all I have gained a great friend – Amar is the first person from the industry that has been willing to take time to help me and my career and I’ll be forever appreciative of that. Being able to sit down and have a normal chat can do a lot for university students that have moved away from their families.

The masterclasses are a terrific part of the scheme – Networking with people involved with the trust and learning from their experiences can really help you to hone what area of Journalism you want to work in one day.

Has networking provided you with lots of journalist contacts? How will those contacts help in your chosen field/career?

I’ve got a lot more contacts than if I hadn’t taken the opportunity. A lot of people are willing to help you out and guide you on your way, and the Trust is a fantastic opportunity to connect with likeminded people who have a little more experience.

What are the other benefits of being involved?

Travel and accommodation expenses are reimbursed by the Trust and their donors which makes this a free opportunity to accelerate your career and get involved in the right areas. Meeting with incredible individuals and getting your name out there is both fun and a great opportunity so if you’re considering whether to apply – Just DO IT!

Do you have any advice for anyone considering a career in journalism?

There’s always going to be a demand for someone with detailed knowledge on a variety of subjects in a newsroom and it allows to you become great or aim to become the best at a given field. Above all, make sure you enjoy what you’re doing. There’s no point in starting a journey you don’t want to be on, once you’re in, Journalism has a fantastic way of keeping you in touch with it for life.