Journalism student Laoise hired as magazine feature writer during final year

Journalism BA student Laoise Gallagher has been hired as a magazine feature writer – whilst still completing her final year of studies – thanks to an article she wrote as part of a ‘newsday’ assessment at the Centre for Journalism (CfJ).

Newsdays at CfJ play a vital role in preparing students for newsrooms in the real world with students tasked on different days to produce either finished print pages, a radio bulletin or a TV bulletin. Students assume the roles of reporter, editors (responsible for overall editorial decision-making), executives (supporting the editors in key positions) or members of the news team. Performance in each role counts towards their overall assessment mark.

During her second year of studies, Laoise designed and wrote an article for Irish Dancing Magazine. Laoise was encouraged by her teachers to pitch it to the magazine for real and, this month, Laoise’s article is published as a double-page feature. The magazine has also hired Laoise as a feature writer.

Laoise said: ‘I’m a World Championship level Irish dancer myself so I thought that it would be smart to pick a niche magazine to pitch as I could really immerse myself in the story and show expert knowledge. I contacted the magazine to get information on the design and layout of their stories to make mine as similar as possible. I then sent them my final piece.

‘Since then, I have had such a positive editorial experience with the magazine and they involved me in every step of the process from editing, design and through to publication. My article is now a double page spread in the December edition. They have also now hired me as their new feature writer which in my final year is so valuable to have as experience on a CV and shows how everything at CfJ, even a simple assignment, is an opportunity if you really take it and run.’

Laoise will be sharing more of her CfJ student experience at 16.00 on Friday 7 December when she hosts our Instagram LIVE – follow @CfJKent on Instagram and you’ll get a notification when we go LIVE

The CfJ has a consistently strong record of employability in the UK and is currently ranked 5th for graduate prospects in The Complete University Guide 2021. CfJ alumni work in organisations such as the BBC, ENVY Post Productions, Sky, Reuters, The Sun, The Financial Times, Channel 5, the Daily Mail, ITV, Buzzfeed, The Huffington Post, Vogue, the South China Morning Post, ITV Productions and at newspapers the length and breadth of the UK.

During your studies, you simultaneously prepare for the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) Diploma in Journalism. NCTJ accreditation is the hallmark of excellence in journalism training. As a graduate of an NCTJ accredited course, you’re just the kind of multi-skilled recruit that employers are looking for – a graduate who knows the fundamentals of journalism and can operate to professional standards.

Learn more about the three-year Journalism BA (Hons) at Kent