Mariela Guajardo

Feed URL: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/brussels-profiles/2012/11/30/mariela-guajardo/feed/?withoutcomments=1

Mariela Guajardo graduated, with a distinction, in 2008 from the M.A. programme in Migration Studies. She is currently an advisor to the Commissioner of the Mexican National Migration Institute (INM, for its acronym in Spanish). Prior to this position, Mariela worked on counter-trafficking issues at the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in Geneva and Mexico City. While at BSIS, she founded the Migration Forum.

What do you think were the key attributes of BSIS when you were here?
One of the key attributes of BSIS is the size of the student body. Students feel part of the community as opposed to being just a number. In addition, professors are extremely committed, not only to their student’s academic success but to their professional development.

Do you think that your studies at BSIS helped you secure your current post?
My degree from BSIS has definitely opened a lot of doors professionally. It was while writing my dissertation, and with the support of my BSIS network, that I was offered an internship at IOM headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. I truly believe that the knowledge I gained while at BSIS has been a determining factor in my professional development.

Do you think that BSIS is a good place to study international studies and if so why?
BSIS is an ideal place to study international affairs. The location of the school allows for the classroom to expand into the EU, NATO and other Brussels-based organizations. Throughout the school year students have many opportunities to visit these organizations, meet with many of their representatives and apply for internships and jobs.

Have you been able to put what you learned at BSIS to use and if so when? 
While many aspects of migration management can be quite practical in nature, I feel that I have been able to enrich my work by integrating the theoretical perspective gained during the M.A. In fact, some of the classes that I took in Brussels have been so closely related to my job that I often consult my BSIS readings and notes at work!

Would you recommend BSIS to potential students and if so what would you tell them?
I would wholeheartedly recommend BSIS to prospective students. Not only did the school give me the academic credentials necessary for a career in migration, but my studies also gave me the opportunity to establish long lasting relationships with truly unique people from all over the world.

As I usually tell people who ask me about the school, BSIS has a way of opening up a world of possibilities.

This entry was posted in alumni. Bookmark the permalink.