Serve the City

Hello everyone and happy friday!

A brief introduction for those students who I haven’t met: My name is Alexandra Finocchio (Alex) and I’m a current LLM student at BSIS. More importantly, I’m your BGU Chair for Community Service & Fundraising which means I’ll be bringing you guys opportunities to give back to our lovely city AND our home away from home, BSIS.

And with that, I’m bringing you some news! Why else would I be blowing up your inbox?

1.) A big thanks goes out to the fellow BGU members that stocked the vending machine a few days ago. Hopefully most of you have discovered this by now, but if not, here’s your memo… The vending machine is locked and loaded, ready to serve you your deepest craving.

Seriously though, it helps the BGU be able to fund events, activities, etc. for you, the student body, without having to worry so much about expenses (everyone loves do stuff fo free). Plus, you burn a decent amount of calories thinking that hard during class. You need to refuel your brain, so you’re well prepared for round 2. But actually, that’s a real thing. SO go grab a snack! I know you know where the kitchen is.

2.) Serve the City has asked BSIS to get involved in their winter collection of canned foods, toiletries and winter clothes. The organization has a goal of collecting enough goods to fill 1000 shoeboxes that will be wrapped and distributed to the homeless. I will be putting a box/bin in the common room for donations. Feel free to donate whatever you wish. However, they have given some specifics:

Toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, shower gel, liquid soap, and deodorant
Food: easy to open and ready to eat products such as, canned tuna, canned ravioli, canned couscous chicken, canned fruit, dry fruit, chocolate, and biscuits. Serve the City kindly requests that food donations have  NO PORK.
Winter Clothes: hats, scarves, gloves, men’s winter coats, men’s shoes and sleeping bags

If you don’t have time to get to the store or rummage through old belongings, monetary donations are accepted:
Monetary: €10 donation covers the cost of a full gift. €10 provides a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, shower gel, deodorant, something warm to wear, and something nourishing to eat

Please do not feel pressured to donate €10 or €10 worth of stuff. Every little bit counts, even if its just one canned good from your local market or some spare change. The last day to donate will be Wednesday, December 4th. I will pick up the donations Wednesday night around 20:00-20:30 and deliver them Thursday, Dec 5th.

IF you wish to further contribute, on Saturday, December 7th, Serve the City needs volunteers to help box, wrap, and distribute the boxes, in addition to some other projects. Once I receive the details I can give you more specifics on what projects will be going on that day. I was told to inform you that you may or may not be grouped with fellow BSIS students, but please do not let this discourage you from volunteering. We can all meet up afterwards! I will have a sign up sheet next to the box, so just write down your name and email.

Thank you! Enjoy your weekend!

Alexandra Finocchio