Professor Garrett new Chair of Pancreatic Cancer UK’s Scientific Advisory Board

The University welcomes the appointment of Michelle Garrett, Professor of Cancer Therapeutics in the School of Biosciences, as the new Chair of Pancreatic Cancer UK’s Scientific Advisory Board (SAB).

The SAB consists of experts in pancreatic cancer from around the world, who consult Pancreatic Cancer UK to ensure funding for projects of the highest standard.

Professor Garrett’s career has spanned industry and academia. She has been at the forefront of drug discovery research in many cancer types and has been responsible for bringing numerous drugs into clinical use, improving the treatment options for countless people with cancer. She has also worked closely with other major funders of cancer research in the UK such as Cancer Research UK, Breast Cancer Now and the Medical Research Council, sitting as members of strategy and funding committees.

Pancreatic Cancer UK funds innovative research to find the breakthroughs that will update diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic cancer. It provides expert, personalised support and information via their Support Line and through a range of publications, and has campaigned for better care, treatment and research into pancreatic cancer to bring the recognition it deserves.

Professor Garrett said: ‘I am honoured to have been offered this position. As a scientist who has worked in cancer research for more than 30 years, I am aware of the challenges that pancreatic cancer presents and that it is a key area of unmet need. I am excited to be working with the highly motivated individuals at Pancreatic Cancer UK taking this challenge on. I am particularly keen to interact with the patients and their loved ones affected by pancreatic cancer, and to hear and learn from their perspectives, as they are at the heart of what we do.

‘I have spent 25 years in cancer drug discovery and so really understand pancreatic cancer and how to attack it in this context, from basic research all the way to clinical trials. Although my experience is in drug discovery, I believe that a holistic approach must be taken in the battle against pancreatic cancer. We need to not only focus research on developing new and effective treatments but also finding ways to diagnose people earlier and improve quality of life for patients. Ultimately, I hope that in my time as Chair I can apply my scientific knowledge to the charity context to help Pancreatic Cancer UK in their mission to drive change and give those affected with pancreatic cancer a more positive outcome.’