Wonderful Women of Arts and Humanities

Meet Alex…

Alex is both a PhD student in Classical Studies AND a staff member with multiple  roles here at Kent. Her research is on the exile poetry of the Roman poet Ovid. She is also an Assistant Lecturer in Classics, and an Outreach Ambassador and Tutor.

Why is Women’s History Month important to you?

To inspire women and girls everywhere, and to ensure that everyone sees the astonishing impact women have made, and continue to make, in our world.

What inclusive practices have you seen during your time at Kent that have impacted you positively as a woman?

I have never felt that I have less opportunity at Kent because I am a woman. From my work as a student ambassador to society membership to being a member of SECL’s EDI committee, I have always been treated with respect, and my opinion and input into has been welcomed.

Can you tell us about a woman who inspires you?

That question is really hard to answer with one example, because there are many women, both at Kent and outside, who inspire me. However my great aunt, Pat, stands out. She is 92 years old and is a fierce, awesome lady. She is calm and rational, and gives good advice. She is so easy to chat to, full of laughter, and an immense source of support for those around her. She regularly hops on a bus for days out around Kent, including coming over to Canterbury where we meet up, shop, and do lunch. She never stops talking, and doesn’t take any nonsense from anyone. I want to be just like Pat when I grow up!

How do you make time for yourself?

I run most days, which keeps me fit, and is important for my mental health too. I love a long bath, and I read something unrelated to my PhD every day. I love starting the day over coffee with my partner Owen, where we chat and laugh. It is the perfect start to a busy day!

Do you have any words of wisdom you would like to share?

While you are at University, please take every chance to be involved in the Kent community and to enjoy and be inspired by the opportunities around you.

#WWAH #IWD23