About Me

Charlotte Clements

My name is Charlotte Clements and I am a PhD student in SSPSSR at the University of Kent. I have a BA (Hons) in History from the University of York and an MRes in Modern History from King’s College London. For my PhD research, I am funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).

My research looks at local youth clubs in South London and Liverpool between 1958 and approximately 1985. I am interested in the roles that these small local organisations and related organisations played in their communities and localities. I am interested in what services they provided for young people during this time and how they handled a range of issues affecting youth and wider society. My thesis aims to examine the local and specific youth voluntary organisation and argue for its significance in the range of state and voluntary organisations provided at both local and national level.

As part of the New Researchers Committee  for the Voluntary Action History Society I help to organise PhD and Early Career Workshops on a range of topics, as well as co-ordinating their writing group.

In addition to this blog, if you want to stay up to date on my work and PhD progress you can follow me on twitter: @CClements29