Hannah’s website wins her a scholarship

Master's student Hannah Ellerby

Master’s student Hannah Ellerby has been awarded a scholarship from the FindAMasters.com and FindAPhD.com 2014 Postgraduate Scholarships scheme. Hannah who is studying MSc Computer Science at the University of Kent received the Engineering, Maths and Computing Masters Scholarship worth £500.

Hannah responded to the open ended challenge of ‘Tell us why you deserve to win a scholarship’ with an innovative website. Hannah said: ‘I designed the website to look like a desk. The computer monitor on the desk was interactive and contained the answers to why I wanted to win the scholarship. I’m really pleased to have won and will put the money towards next year’s tuition fees. I completed an English Literature undergraduate degree a few years ago and I have done some web coding but I wanted to learn to programme so I am working part-time while studying part-time for the Master’s degree.’

There were over 2,800 global entrants for the Postgraduate Scholarship initiative competing for sixteen Scholarship awards worth a combined total of £9,000.

Andy Pritchard, Managing Director of FindAMasters.com and FindAPhD.com, said: ‘The standard of applications was incredibly high, with applications ranging from film trailers to original songs, and animations to pieces of artwork. Hannah created a purpose-built website that underlined her research interests while illustrating her journey into postgraduate study. We were thrilled to award our Engineering, Maths and Computing Masters Scholarship to such a passionate student and we’re delighted that we can help to support Hannah in her studies.’

In 2015 FindAMasters.com and FindAPhD.com will be giving away a total of £12,000 in Postgraduate Scholarships. Registration is now open, with the formal application process beginning in May 2015.

Hannah is studying the MSc Computer Science at the University of Kent, which is a conversion Master’s. The programme is open to students who hold a good undergraduate degree in any subject.