Student Mentors’ Awards Ceremony 30th March 2016

Feed URL: https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/uelt-news-events/2016/04/12/student-mentors-awards-ceremony-30th-march-2016/feed/?withoutcomments=1

On the 30th March students from 18 schools involved in the Academic Peer Mentoring (APM) scheme attended an awards ceremony and lunch hosted by the Student Learning Advisory Service (SLAS). The awards were presented to the mentors by Dr Louise Naylor, Director of UELT. Mentors from the KBS, CEWL, Pol IR and SECL made presentations and showcased the impact this additional support has had on student achievement. The event was recorded graphically by a small team of mentors who have received graphic recording training from Banter: a Medway based graphic recording company http://www.banter.uk.net/
“Being a mentor has been fun and I have learnt skills which have helped me to prioritise my workload and communicate effectively with lots of different people.” (Fatin Binti-Azhar: KBS stage 2)
The APM scheme now has 350 mentors and it has proved to be an excellent way of promoting student-centered learning. This initiative depends on student volunteers and is very much a student-led response – both undergraduates and postgraduates offer encouragement and academic advice to other students in the year below thus helping them to improve their performance.  As such, it has become an important intervention in the University’s OFFA project.
Mentors benefit greatly from the scheme as they deepen their understanding of the course content as well as enhance their employability skills. Mentoring counts towards the KSCV and employability points scheme. This year it will also be a verifiable activity itemised on students’ HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Record) as SLAS has also delivered a new optional Kent Extra module for mentors.
The module made me a lot more confident about my own study skills which I have been able to pass on to my mentees” (Charlotte Harding: MFA stage 3)
If you would like to find out more about mentoring at Kent please email slasapm@kent.ac.uk

IMG_0638IMG_0645

This entry was posted in Learning, news. Bookmark the permalink.