New Police Registration System

The new Kent Police Registration System for Foreign Nationals is now live. From today, if you are a foreign national who needs to register or report a change to your registration (new visa, address etc) you will need to visit the Kent police website to log on, fill out the registration form, download your photograph and book your own appointment.

All students will have to log onto the website shown below and record their details. However, if you are changing your address, you can then send your Certificate in the post, to be updated.

The website is:

*The students will still need to provide all the documentation that is currently required when they visit the Nationality Office.

You can find more information regarding Police Registration on our website. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding Police Registration and we will do our best to help you.

Posted in news, police registration | Comments Off on New Police Registration System

Police Registration

The University has received the following message from the Nationality Department at Kent Police:

Firstly, thank you for your patience and understanding during our recent period of upheaval. Normal service is gradually being restored so students should now contact us either by e-mail or by  telephone  on 01303  297337 or 297338  –  the office is manned  08.00 – 16.00. Their appointment is likely to be somewhat in the future and of course this will fall foul of the 7 day requirement to register but in the circumstances this is unavoidable.

If any students are concerned about leaving the country without  having been registered then we can provide a letter to hopefully ease their anxiety and satisfy any  immigration officer that might enquire about lack of registration.”



Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Police Registration

Disruption to biometric enrolment on 31st October 2016

We have been informed by the Home Office that due to industrial action there will be limited availability of biometric enrolment services in Crown Post Office branches on 31st October 2016. The Post Office does have contingency plans in place which are aimed to minimise disruption and to ensure the enrolment service stays open.

Please be aware that if you attempt to enrol your biometrics on the 31st October it is possible you may encounter disruption.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Disruption to biometric enrolment on 31st October 2016

Police registration cancelled

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Kent Police Nationality Department have cancelled police registration appointments that are to be held on campus on 12th, 18th and 26th October. Registration with the police is currently on hold.

Kent Police are working to resolve the matter as soon as possible. This disruption may result in you being unable to register with the police within the seven day Home Office requirement. Kent Police have informed both UK Border Force and the Home Office, as well as some students, of the situation.

You will have received an email from us on 11th October 2016 with further information. We will update you when we have more information regarding the details about the police registration situation.

Please contact the Kent Police with further information:

Landline: 01303 297 337 or 01303 297 338

If you would like to contact a member of staff on campus about your situation we recommend contacting the Kent Union Advice Centre (Canterbury students) or GK Unions Advice Centre (Medway students).

Posted in police registration, Uncategorized | Comments Off on Police registration cancelled

Police registration on campus

If you hold a Tier 4 visa and are of a national of one of the countries listed in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules, then you will need to register with the police if your course is longer than 6 months. Your visa vignette or your visa decision letter will state whether you have to register with the police.

You can register with the police on campus throughout September and October as the Kent Police Nationality Department will be at the Canterbury Campus. Further details can be found here on our webpage.


Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Police registration on campus

Entering the UK via Ireland

If you are travelling to the UK and considering stopping over or travelling through the Republic of Ireland, you should be aware this may impact your ability to register on your course at the University.

Both the UK and Ireland are part of the Common Travel Area (CTA). The CTA streamlines arrival in the UK from Ireland because there is no immigration control on arrival in the UK if you have already entered the Republic of Ireland. However, this can cause a problem because when entering the UK (via Ireland) you will not receive a UK visa endorsement in your passport which permits you to study in the UK. This can be problematic if you will be studying a short course on a short-term study visa and did not apply for your short-term study visa before travelling.

We encourage all students to enter the UK directly via a UK port of entry (eg. London Heathrow or Gatwick airports).

Please refer to the following resources for more information.

UKCISA, Arriving via Ireland

University of Kent, Short-term study visa


Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Comments Off on Entering the UK via Ireland

Post-registration change of course

Are you currently studying at Kent on a Tier 4 visa and considering changing courses? If this is the case, you should be aware that the Immigration Rules changed on 6 April 2016 which impact the ability to switch courses whilst studying on a Tier 4 visa.

If you have not successfully completed the course for which your visa was originally granted you may be able to switch courses, subject to approval by the University, but you may have to apply for a new visa first from outside the UK before you can start on your new course.

To find out more about changes to the Immigration Rules and how this may impact you please refer to the following web resources:

University of Kent, Student Immigration – changing your course

UKCISA, Protecting your Tier 4 status – study conditions (click on ‘Tier 4 Conditions’, then click on ‘Study’ which will provide more information about changing courses)


Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Comments Off on Post-registration change of course

BRP Collection dates, times and locations

If you have selected to collect your BRP from the University, click here for collection dates, times and locations.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged | Comments Off on BRP Collection dates, times and locations

Scam targets Tier 4 students

The Home Office has notified Universities of the following scam which targets Tier 4 students whereby the student receives a telephone call from an individual who fraudulently purports to represent the Home Office.

The caller instructs the student to verify their telephone number 020 7035 4848 on the website, search for Home Office, and then scroll down to the bottom of the screen so that they can verify that the caller is calling from the genuine Home Office number.  The caller ID on the student’s mobile does show this number.  The caller is in possession of the students full name, postcode in the UK and passport number, and asks the student to confirm those details are correct.

They then proceed to tell the student they have not paid for an immigration service and, as a result, have to pay a fine (usually £1200 – £1520) or they will be reported to the Police/or the Home Office who will detain or deport them.

Please be aware that UK Visas and Immigration will not contact students in this manner.

Students who have been targeted have reported that the fraudsters become increasingly insistent and verbally aggressive resulting in them feeling coerced in to making payment.

Further information regarding frauds and scams is available from:


HM Government




Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged | Comments Off on Scam targets Tier 4 students

Changes to Immigration Rules from 6 April 2016

Changes to the Immigration Rules come into effect on 6 April 2016 and apply to existing Tier 4 students as well as anyone applying for leave on or after this date.

The main changes impacting University of Kent students are outlined below.

Changing courses

Under the new rules, Tier 4 visa holders sponsored by the University may only change their course, without applying for a new visa first, if:

  • The new course is at degree level or above;
  • The new course is not at a lower level than the course for which the CAS was originally issued and the student was granted leave;
  • The student will be able to complete the new course within their current period of leave; and
  • The University confirms that:
    • The new course is related to the previous course, part of the same subject group, or involves deeper specialisation; or
    • The previous course and new course in combination support the student’s genuine career aspirations.



Students sponsored on a Tier 4 (General) visa cannot be self-employed or engage in business activity. Business activity includes working for a business in a capacity other than employee in which a student has a financial or other significant beneficial interest. This includes:

  • Setting up a business as a sole trader or under a partnership and the business is either trading or establishing a trading presence;
  • Being employed by a company in which a student holds shares of 10% or more (including where the shares are held in trust); or
  • Working for a company where a student also holds a statutory role, such as a director.


Calculation of time limits under Tier 4

The new rules clarify that the period of leave granted and the level of course for which the leave was granted will be counted towards the caps on study, rather than the periods and courses actually studied.


Academic progression

Tier 4 (General) students cannot study a course lower than their previous course.


English language requirements for US study abroad students

Third country nationals applying under Tier 4 (General) to study a short-term study abroad programme in the UK as part of their degree at an HEI in the USA will be exempt from the Tier 4 English language requirements.


Further information

Further changes and clarifications in the Immigration Rules including those relating to changing course with the same Tier 4 sponsor, NHS debt, maintenance requirements for Student Union Sabbatical Officers, postgraduate doctor or dentist students and Tier 4 sponsors converting to state schools can be found in the Statement of changes to the Immigration Rules (April 2016)

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Changes to Immigration Rules from 6 April 2016