Student Spotlight | Portia Abena Kubinson – International Master’s MSc in Applied Actuarial Science

Portia Abena Kubinson is studying the International Master’s MSc in Applied Actuarial Science at Kent.

Why did you choose to study at the University of Kent?

I chose to study here because Kent’s programme is well set-up and I get exemptions from the professional exams.

What is the best thing about studying in the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science?

I would say that the best thing about studying in the School is how welcoming our lecturers are. They are always ready to help. Everyone is just always willing to help.

What has been your favourite topic/module on your course?

My favourite module on my course so far has been Survival Models and my favourite topic has been Graduation.

What have you found most interesting on your course?

I have found the fact that every module is connected to be really interesting. It’s like a big picture with pieces that fit perfectly. My experience in Kent I would say has been amazing and very life changing. It has given me a deeper understanding of my programme and my career and I would say that I’m a better student now than I use to be.

Have you found the School to be supportive? If so, how has the School supported you?

I have found the School to be very supportive. Where I come from, things are really different in terms of teaching. Kent has very qualified staff who know exactly what they are teaching.

What do you think of the Sibson Building? What do you think the Building means for students within the School?

The Sibson Building is a very beautiful building and very well designed. Students generally like new facilities, so the Sibson Building is really refreshing, and convenient for those who live close by.

Can you sum up your course in three words?

Challenging and Interesting.

Would you recommend studying at Kent?

I would absolutely recommend studying at Kent.  My kids will come here hopefully. I have experienced a great taught programme.

For more information about International MSc in Applied Actuarial Science at Kent click here or contact our Admissions Assistant.