Actuarial Science Students Shine at Annual Employability Awards

Two students from the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science collected awards at University of Kent’s annual Employability Points Rewards ceremony on Tuesday 6 June.

Final year Actuarial Science with a Year in Industry, Joey Chong, was awarded the prize for the ‘Highest Scoring Student from the Canterbury Campus’ for the second consecutive year after accumulating over 2,800 Employability Points. Joey commented, “I am honoured and happy to have won the award for the second consecutive year. The EP Scheme has played a significant role throughout my undergraduate studies, providing me with opportunities to further enhance my skills and gain valuable work experiences. It truly is a great scheme as it recognises and rewards the work students do.”

Fellow final year Actuarial Science with a Year in Industry student, Hannah Marshall, was named ‘Highest Scoring Student Studying a Finance Related Degree’ for a second time after the winning the award in 2015. Speaking after the event Hannah said, “I am absolutely thrilled to have received this Employability Points award for the second year. Logging extra curricular activities through the scheme whilst studying for my Actuarial Science degree has helped me recognise how important it is to employers to be well rounded. I have loved getting involved in voluntary and charity week at university, and getting recognition for this was an added bonus!”

Now in its seventh year, the Employability Points (EP) Scheme rewards students for their involvement in extra-curricular activities whilst studying at Kent. Students can claim ‘Employability Points’ for each activity completed and can redeem their points for the chance to apply for rewards such as, paid internships, work experience, training, project placements, vouchers and more.

Senior Lecturer in Actuarial Science and Employability Officer for the School, Mark Heller, commented, “Congratulations to Joey and Hannah, who received awards at the university’s recent Employability Points Rewards ceremony.

The Employability Points scheme provides vital work experience and skills for Kent students, and is recognised by employers across the country. The School is committed to providing high quality employability support to students, and we’re delighted that our students have been recognised with these prestigious awards.”