This week we welcome ‘Visiting Artist’ Kirsten Glass

Kirsten Glass work has been exhibited regularly in group and solo shows, mainly in London’s commercial, public and project spaces such as the ICA, Barbican, V22 Projects and Hales gallery.

kirsten photo

27th November, 2014

Clock Tower Building (formerly BridgeWardens College), Lecture Theatre
17.30-18.30
Free, everyone welcome!

kirsten glass poster

Kirsten Glass was born in Belfast in 1975. She attended Chelsea College of Art then Goldsmiths College, graduating in 2000.

Kirsten will talk about developments in her painting practice over the last 15 years, focusing on the most recent body of work which is currently showing in London: Persephone, Queen of the Underworld, 14.11.14- 11.12.14. The Cock ‘n’ Bull Gallery, a project space below Tramshed Restaurant, 32, Rivington St, EC2A 3LX.
Kirsten writes of this recent body of work:

I don’t want to be entirely in control. I want to feed the paintings this ritual geometry until they begin to transform into something I didn’t design. I watch out for when the painting becomes present, when it seems to hold something within itself. It’s important not to reduce this to an explanation. I’m interested in feeling the pulse or vibration and atmosphere of a painting, and knowing it holds its story precisely but silently. I guess the desire to get closer to something beyond the language you’re using – to know something unknowable – is the same for every artist and it really is the nature of painting. It’s the seduction of ‘almost’ and why once is never enough. But yes, they are libidinal and female and made between something sexual and something metaphysical. In this way they are love paintings.

For more information about Glass, please see: http://www.kirstenglass.com/