Testimonial MSc in Organisational Psychology – Jamie Harper

Why did you pursue a postgraduate course?
My name is Jamie Harper, and I am currently studying on the Organisational Psychology MSc at Kent. I decided to continue on from my Kent Psychology BSc to postgraduate study because I thought that, not only was it a great opportunity to learn more about the specific area of psychology which I was interested in, but it also showed to employers that I am able to complete a higher level qualification– it really shows your dedication and ability to manage your time effectively which employers like to see!

Why did you choose this postgraduate course and institution?
I chose the Organisational Psychology MSc at Kent specifically because I have always believed that since the majority of us will spend half of our lives in a workplace, psychology should be applied to this area to make it as fulfilling and inclusive as possible. My undergraduate degree was great for teaching me broadly about different areas of psychology, but this Master’s is very focused around organisational issues and how we as practitioners can ensure that any organisations we work with are following best practice. It’s great to see such a practical application of psychology!

Tell us about the course…
This Master’s involves a mix of Kent Psychology and Kent Business School (KBS) modules, which I really enjoy as it enables me to mix with students on core Business Master’s degrees and get their perspectives on different topics. It also allows us to learn more about getting qualified by bodies such as the CIPD, which we don’t really learn about
in solely psychology courses. Getting contact with lecturers from KBS is a great opportunity and we are very supported by both the KBS and Kent Psychology lecturers so we are keeping up with the Business Master’s students in our lectures. The majority of teaching is done through two hour lectures, although we do have some seminars within KBS which is great for having in depth conversations about organisational issues. In terms of weekly hours, there are around 6-8 hours contact time per week depending on the modules chosen and the time in the term – some modules run as just one solid week of 9-5, which sounds daunting but is actually really great because you can totally immerse yourself in it for that time. Currently there are less than 20 of us studying this Master’s either full or part time, and I really enjoy that we’re a smaller group because we’re all very close and support each other through any stressful times in the year!

What areas of work could you go into as a result of your further study?
It’s great to be working towards a qualification that’s more specific than a general psychology undergraduate, and I think it really helped me to focus my research interests and career aspirations for after university. I’m hoping to go into an HR Management role, and I am currently going through the selection process for the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme. This is an incredibly competitive scheme, and I think that having my Master’s degree in a business-focused area has really made me stand out to the assessors. This Master’s will allow you to either continue on into psychology focused topics or branch out into business roles, depending on your area of interest. Although this course isn’t BPS or CIPD accredited, this is not a drawback for me since HR graduate schemes will often allow you to achieve CIPD whilst qualifying, and the lack of BPS accreditation allows for a more flexible module layout within the course. I really enjoy studying this course, and it’s really boosted my confidence in my abilities in both psychology and organisational areas. The campus is gorgeous, the staff are lovely, and the course is interesting and engaging – what more could I ask for?