Testimonial MSc in Developmental Psychology – Taryn Hendricksen

Why did you pursue a postgraduate course?
I have always been interested in the psychological development of children, particularly in regards to learning and mental health, but I have been unsure where to take this. I decided to pursue a postgraduate degree to further my knowledge of the field, develop my skills, and increase my employability. I also wanted to learn more about different areas of psychology to help me figure out where to go next.

Why did you choose this postgraduate course and institution?
In my third year of my Kent Psychology undergraduate degree I took a module in Advanced Developmental Psychology which cemented my love for the topic. Choosing which MSc degree to do was easy – it could only be the MSc in Developmental Psychology for me! The choice of where do my postgraduate was also easy: my undergraduate was at Kent and I had loved my time here. The university is incredibly supportive and there are a wealth of resources I can access including information and workshops, not only for my study but also for careers and employability. There are also a huge variety of societies that are incredibly active and a lot of fun to be a part of!

What is the course teaching you that your first degree did not?
I am enjoying my postgraduate study as much as undergraduate. The course focuses on teaching us to evaluate research and decide for ourselves whether it is methodologically sound, and whether the conclusions are valid. As such, there is a strong critical analysis component which was not as present at undergraduate level. This has not only improved my ability to assess how good a research study is, but it has also allowed me to become a better researcher myself.

Tell us about the course…
I was impressed by the modules on offer and it was incredibly hard to pick! In autumn term I took Advanced Research Methods which really aided my understanding of study design and ethical considerations, especially when working with children, clinical populations, and other vulnerable people. I now have much more confidence as a researcher and an improved skill-set that will help me stand out when I start applying for jobs. Another module I have found invaluable is Developmental Psychology in Professional Practice. This module is made up of guest lecturers who currently work within the field of psychology. They give a fascinating insight into how they apply psychology within their work, and what their job looks like day to day. They are also very willing to answer questions about getting into their field and offer advice, all of which has been incredibly helpful.

What areas of work could you go into as a result of your further study?
The Developmental Psychology MSc has allowed me to develop many skills including advanced statistical theory and analysis, research skills and critical analysis. All of these are fundamental for many areas of psychology including research and academia, and clinical work, but can also be transferred to other areas such as data analysis. I intend to look for work as a research assistant to gain further experience, before moving on to working with children with mental health difficulties. My postgraduate degree has been a great stepping stone on my path.