After Kent – Catching up with Georgina Edwards

Many students have passed through Kent but what are they up to now? In the After Kent series, we talk to Georgina Edwards about her journey After Kent. Georgina studied BA (Hons) in Politics and International Relations between 2017-2020.

What do you miss the most about studying Politics at Kent? 

I miss discussing and exploring interesting topics and being able to pick the minds of my lecturers who are experts in their field. I loved having my views of the world and politics questioned and was constantly learning. I learned so much about the world and my views are now shaped by the knowledge and experience I gained from studying POLIR at Kent. I miss the community that the POLIR department created through the events they held, such as inviting guest lecturers to speak and holding weekly open forums. These events were great opportunities to chat with fellow students where we could share our views and experiences. 

What are you up to now? 

I am currently in Malawi, in a region called Cape Maclear working as an internal volunteer for the charity Changing Stars Malawi. Within this role, I am teaching English at Mango Tree Nursery in the mornings and in the afternoons I teach English and maths at Chitzanso Primary School. Alongside this, I have been appointed to the position of Head of Communications and Volunteer Coordinator for the Malama Feeding Trust. These roles involve managing donations from trustees, donors and external NGOs and organising volunteers from overseas (this includes developing a website for the trust, creating a volunteering pack and assisting volunteers with their fundraising).  

How has studying Politics at Kent prepared you for the future/current position?  

Studying Politics at Kent has advantaged me in a variety of ways. I have gained many skills that have benefited me in my current role. My degree has given me an understanding of the structures and inequalities that exist within society which has been very useful. It’s given me an understanding of how governments and NGOs can tackle developmental issues. I have good knowledge of international politics and this has been helpful when assessing the complexities of foreign aid and understanding the inequalities in global development.  

What advice would you give potential/current Politics students?

Utilise the services that the POLIR department provides! Visit office hours, attend events, and get to know the staff. Also, make sure you make friends and network with your fellow POLIR classmates! Make the most of this opportunity to study a very relevant and interesting subject on one of the most beautiful campuses in the country!  

What do you plan to do in the future?

I hope to pursue a career in international development. I understand and appreciate the value of education, if countries and societies are to be uplifted, education will be the driving force. I want to work on educational policy within developing countries, I want to help make education accessible to those who need it the most. My next step is to a masters in International Development, where I will be able to expand on the skills and knowledge I gained from my POLIR degree.  

If you are a POLIR alumni and studied either an undergraduate, postgraduate or PhD degree with us and would like to share your story, contact us, we would love to hear from you!

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter