After Kent – Where are Kent POLIR students now? Catching up with Grace Couch

Many students have passed through Kent but what are they up to now? In the After Kent series, we talk to Grace Couch about her Journey After Kent. Grace studied Politics and International Relations BA at Kent in 2017-2020.

What do you miss the most about studying Politics at Kent? 

The thing I miss the most is being able to interact with peers and staff about events going on in the world of politics! When something big happens politically, I really reminisce about being able to go into these issues in-depth in seminars and with the experts on the subject. It’s been weird following the Brexit developments without hearing Jane O’Mahoney’s analysis of what is actually going on, as well as being able to understand the perspectives of international students, sharing our views and experiences. Equally, having the opportunity to debate and disagree with other students was just as much a part of the fun!

The other thing you can’t help but miss is the beautiful campus and the community feeling of being a student at Kent.

What are you up to now? 

I am currently working as a ‘Climate and Ecological Emergency Project Officer’ for Swale Borough Council, helping to implement the Action plan to reach net-zero by 2030. I am also freelancing for publications such as Naked Politics and The Human Perspective. My most recent piece for The Human Perspective was on Russia and ‘Can TikTok Bring Down a Dictator?‘ I also volunteer for the Maidstone Homeless Care as a social media coordinator.

How has studying Politics at Kent prepared you for the future/your current position?

My understanding of the geopolitics around climate change is particularly useful for my current role, but studying Politics at Kent has also taught me strong critical thinking skills that are useful in every level of politics. My knowledge of the structures and inequalities of society are also instrumental to ensuring our climate change policies are not at the detriment of the worse off in society.

What advice would you give potential/current Politics students?

Take advantage of all the opportunities that are available to you – hear from outstanding public speaker guests, talk to your lecturers about their experiences and field of study in more depth than just what is in your module and don’t take for granted the school’s support network (careers advice, wellbeing support etc).

What do you plan to do in the future?

I am excited to be working in climate change as this is a field that I can only see growing. I look forward to a career path interacting with higher-level decision-makers and having the opportunity to provide a greater influence over policy or legislation.

If you are a POLIR alumni and studied either an undergraduate, postgraduate or PhD degree with us and would like to share your story, contact us, we would love to hear from you!

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter