BA Architecture – Student Profile – Aut Angpanitcharoen

What attracted you to studying at Kent?
Choosing the right university was a stressful point of my life. After eliminating the idea of studying in the US, the UK seemed a straight forward choice, as I was already studying here for quite some time. Kent was recommended to me by a family friend because of great student satisfaction reviews. After some persuading, one Thursday evening after rowing, I set off on a five hours train ride from Shrewsbury. The next morning I visited the campus in its woodland settings overlooking Canterbury Cathedral. A walk around the city centre followed and I almost missed my train back to school. When it came to UCAS Kent was my first choice.

Why did you choose to study architecture?
I guess, I have always wanted to become an architect. It has always been at the back of my mind as I have always loved drawing. Yet when it came to university, I was lost. I knew I wanted to do something to do with Art and Design but I wasn’t sure what. What truly helped me was applying for work experience, as many as I could managed. So I did one in yacht design, two in architecture and talked to my Art teacher about his practical experience. After that very busy year, I decided that architecture was probably it. Thankfully I am truly enjoying it at the moment. And the prospect of becoming an architect truly excites me.

What skills have you already learnt whilst studying architecture?
I have learnt a great deal in stage one. We were encouraged to develop our visual communication skills, free hand sketches and orthographic drawings. We were later introduced to computer programs such as 3Ds Max and Photoshop to help aid our presentations. The brief introduction during the summer term of stage one proved a great setup for the transit into the more digitally dependant stage two.

In terms of the history of art and architecture, I found that starting with the Modern movement was the best way to begin as it is the most relatable. Then in the summer term, we moved on to the other end of the spectrum, ancient and medieval Architecture, focusing on the Greeks, Romans and their influence on European Romanesque architecture and eventually the English Anglo-Saxons, Norman and Gothic architecture.— I particularly enjoyed this module and the final seminar held inside Canterbury Cathedral was the perfect way to conclude. This year, in stage two, we are moving chronologically to the Renaissance and Neoclassicism.
The history modules have proved to be a great source of inspiration and precedence for the design modules, which is to me the most demanding, and perhaps that is why it is the most enjoyable. We are always encouraged to design responsibly. To create buildings and landscape that responds to its surroundings, creative designs that are functional to use, pleasant to experience and responsible to our environment.

What are you most enjoying about university?
I consider myself lucky, in that, what I enjoy most is the course. Spending sleepless nights working on models and orthographic drawings is strangely delightful. I suppose when you are working on something that is, often frustrating, but ultimately exciting and that you are proud of, there is never a dull moment. Many of these nights served as bonding sessions of sorts, which the morning after gains you the friendship of other passionate ambitious aspiring architects. Outside of the architecture circle, I am a member of the university boat club and goes for a scull around twice a week on the Stour, usually before lectures. I am also part of the Thai society which helps me to connect with other Thai students studying here at Kent and others throughout the UK.

Do you have any advice to other international students wishing to study at Kent?
Studying abroad is a great opportunity. Try as many new and exciting things as you can. Be open minded, embrace changes and make the most of your experience.

How would you describe the feel of the campus?
The campus is a unique setting, surrounded by woodlands on top of the hill with a view of Canterbury city centre. In the spring bluebells bloom, bunny rabbits emerge from the bushes of Park Wood and ducklings fills up Keynes duck pond. The sylvan layout creates a relaxing, friendly, country atmosphere, very pleasant.