BA Architecture – Student Profile – Vasileios Iliopoulos

What attracted you to studying at Kent?
I first heard about Kent when I was in my first year of the IB Diploma. At that time I had already decided that architecture was what I wanted to devote my life to, so I started viewing schools of architecture in the UK. After finding some information on Kent, I asked my counselor about the University, and more specifically about the School of Architecture. I was then sure that KSA was the right combination of “artistic” and “technical” aspects of the trade for me.

Why did you choose to study architecture?
Whenever anyone asks me this question, I like to rephrase it a bit: “How did you realise you wanted to be an architect”.
Architecture being the creation of order out of chaos and a building being an integrated unit offers an architect the potential to define lives, through aesthetics and functionality. An architect has the power to decide most of our moves. For example, an architect decided that when you wake up, you take five steps straight and then some more to the left to get to the bathroom, and then decided exactly how many steps you have to take to get to the bathtub etc. An architect decided that you live in a home where the living room and the kitchen are separated by walls. An architect looked for the best possible interaction between the structure and the urban or rural environment.
All this creates a fascinating process. My wish to be part of it made me choose architecture -and not just the fact that “I used to draw pictures of buildings” or “build them out of lego when I was little”.

What skills have you already learnt whilst studying architecture?
We have been taught how to produce aesthetically pleasing drawings, how to use sophisticated computer software, how to make beautiful models and how to properly present our schemes. We have been taught how buildings work and stand but most importantly, we have been taught how to think critically, process ideas, interact and work with other people and also to be a team and help each other in the studios.

What do you think about the level of support in your studies?
I think that the level of support from all University staff is excellent. As far as the academic staff are concerned, I believe that the diversity of personalities and opinions is helpful to students, for it guarantees a very wide spectrum of feedback and advice.
Last but not least, the fact that many of our tutors are practicing architects gives us a better understanding of the trade, industry and reality of architecture.

What are you enjoying most about university?
Being independent, meeting new people from all around the world, living away from home, training to do what you have always dreamt of, working really hard, and, occasionally, partying just as hard!