Make the most of Kent Sport membership!

Kent Sport member Emily Adams is a third year English Language and Linguistics student at Kent and shares her experiences of Kent Sport:

We’re already half way through the academic year and I’m betting there’s a lot of gym memberships feeling quite neglected and betrayed. The promises of a “New Year, New Me” are long gone and the whole “summer bodies are made in winter” just sounds like too much effort. So here’s how I keep myself motivated: gym classes. They’re led by professionals telling you exactly what to do, so you’re not left looking perplexed at what all those mystical machines do in the fitness suite. You’re surrounded by other wannabe beach babes just trying to get a little bit fitter so you’re not intimidated by the likes of the ‘weight room’ and best of all, they’re a lot of fun.

Here at Kent, our sports facilities have a lot more to offer than just the fitness suite. And this year, there are 50 classes for the 50th anniversary; and whilst trying them out, I’ve found a few that I really enjoy. Me? Enjoy? The gym? Yeah, I know, it’s laughable, so you know they must be good.

Drums Alive

This is a new one for our Sports Centre, and it’s certainly unique. Imagine a room filled with aerobics balls and 20 people hitting them and jumping around them with drumsticks; well that’s it. Maybe not the most strenuous class but it was created to test your mental ability and coordination as well as your fitness, so it’s great to keep those cogs turning when essays are scrambling your brain. Every time I finish the class, I come out feeling so stupidly happy. I love it and would definitely recommend it (but if you steal my place in next week’s class, I swear to God, I’ll find you).

Body Pump

The day after every class, my body feels like it’s been put through a mincer and then crushed by a truck. So at least I know it’s had an effect on my body! It’s lifting weights, targeted at different muscles, to music. It’s tough but I do enjoy it, because I actually see results with it. Plus, each of the instructors are incredibly well informed and great motivators, which is exactly what I need to stop me picturing the biscuit tin when I finish the class…

Ab Attack

It’s only half an hour and it simply focuses on strengthening and toning your core. Be aware, it hurts like hell to begin with it, but if you want that elusive summer body, a little pain here and there might be needed.

Legs, Bums and Tums

I mean, just look at that name, you know it’s going to be fun. It’s a bit like Zumba, but with more focus on those three typical ‘problem’ areas. It’s high energy and guaranteed to make you lovely and sweaty. If you fancy a bit of dancing (you don’t have to look good doing it), and you want to tone up those tums, I recommend this energetic workout.

And then there’s Circuits

It’s the stuff of nightmares. I went once, long, long ago and walked (nay, crawled) out 15 minutes before the end. Enter at your own peril. You have been warned.

Its great to have feedback from our members. Thanks to Emily for sharing her experience. If you want to try one of these classes you can book online or if you are not yet a member find out about whats on offer. There are so many different activities available to enjoy at Kent Sport. If you would like to share your experiences at Kent Sport and think they could inspire others, you can email sportsenquiries@kent.ac.uk and we may add it to our blog. One contributor between now and the last week of term will be randomly selected and receive a Kent monopoly set!