Kent Business School Postgraduate Newsletter Summer 2017

Sibson building - High quality research at KBS

Welcome to the sixth edition of our newsletter for prospective postgraduate students focusing on the topic of Sustainability and Ethical Business. This quarter we’re sharing our latest news, features, and views from our community.

Student comment: Renewable energy does not depend on global warming

global warming

As part of this quarter’s theme of Sustainability and Ethical Business, we’re sharing views from our academic community. Student Carolin Oetzmann wrote her blog post to explore the debate surrounding renewable energy as part of Kent Business School’s Summer School ‘Global Business in a Dynamic Environment’.  Read the full blog post.

News

• MSc Student Awarded ESRC Scholarship for PhD
    Eirini Bersimi, MSc Finance (Kent Business School) graduate was awarded the scholarship by South East Network for Social Sciences (SeNSS).
    Read the full article.
  • Success at PhD Conference SBR2017
    The conference was organised by KBS research students, for research students, with the aim of connecting PhD candidates from business schools across Europe and beyond. Read the full article.
  • Marketing Student Awarded for Dissertaion
    MSc in Marketing student Claire Manning attended the annual Worshipful Company of Marketors Spring Lunch in May to be presented with a top prize for her dissertation.​ Read the full article.

Postgraduate profile – Iraklis Apergis – PhD Financeiraklis

Your academic background
Even at an undergraduate level, the focus of my studies was statistics. I furthered my research through a Master’s degree and this made me realise the influence of statistics in every research field, from management and finance, to biology and public health. This encouraged me to pursue a PhD.

Your supervisor
I work very closely with my supervisor (Dr Ekaterini Panopoulou) and she is there to guide me whenever I find myself at a standstill. Her research area is aligned very closely with my own personal interests, which allows us to work together effectively. Research has also given me ideas which I hope to further develop with the aid of knowledge and expertise.

Your research career
My career aspirations lie in the field of academia. Working in that environment will allow me to further develop in the field of research and of course, will allow me to share my expertise through teaching. Most advancements in knowledge, innovation and technology stem from academic research, and I aspire to join those ranks.

Events

eventHappiness in the Workplace – A Business Soundbites Event
Friday 22 September 2017 12:00 – 14:00
Run in conjunction with Maidstone Borough Council, Professor Yannis Georgellis will reflect critically on whether happy employees are more productive. Find out more and register.

Expert comment: Why is sustainability important in business?

sustainability

As part of this quarter’s theme of Sustainability and Ethical Business, we’re sharing views from our academic community. Dr Adolf Acquaye is a Senior Lecturer in Sustainability at Kent Business School. Read his blog post, which summarises in his words, why sustainability is important in business. Read the full blog post.

Survey results: Sustainability and ethical business

As part of this quarter’s theme, we asked our social media followers to participate in a survey on Sustainability and Ethical Business. View full survey results.

ethical

Many thanks to all our survey participants! Keep an eye out on our Facebook and Twitter pages for our next survey opportunity!

We hope you’ve enjoyed this newsletter. If you would like further information about our postgraduate programmes please please email us at kbsmarketing@kent.ac.uk.