Work experience after graduation
Most internships are advertised to undergraduates in their penultimate year of study, as many employers use internships as part of their recruitment strategy and future planning. It is a little more challenging, but not impossible, to secure relevant work experience after you have graduated.
- A good starting point is the Jobshop operated by Kent’s Student Union. Click here to search for currently advertised jobs around campus and Canterbury. Jobs in other parts of Kent are included. A new feature from July 2014 is Jobshop Graduates to allow recent University of Kent graduates to register for temporary work and job notifications.
- Internships for graduates in London and the South East, but also in other UK locations – go to Inspiring Interns listed in the next section.
- Jobs in Kent – www.jobsinkent.com; type TEMPORARY in the search box for variety of temporary jobs in Kent
- Santander Internship Programme 2015: Santander sponsor a programme of local internships for up to 3 months for the summer for students and graduates at the University of Kent. These are paid – £1000 per month – and advertised and marked as Santander Internship via the Careers and Employability Service. For more information click here: Santander internship programme.
Additional resources for graduate work experience
- Graduate Talent Pool – designed to help new and recent graduates gain work experience in the UK
- International Student Placement Office (ISPO) – Arranges overseas internships for students and postgraduates within the European Union in a variety of industries across the UK. No salary, but accommodation is paid for. Students are encouraged to apply for Leonardo or Erasmus funding from the EU.
- Inspiring Interns – internships for graduates (from 3-12 months) in London and the South East and other UK locations.
- Second Jobber – suitable for mature students with some initial experience
- STEP – summer placements for students and recent graduates (approx. 2 months) with small and medium-sized enterprises; supporting 22,000 placements across the UK