We’re upgrading LibrarySearch to a new system at the end of July. We’re also moving books and services, as the Templeman Library reopens as a single building.
We’ll do our best to run a smooth service, but some items and services may be unavailable for a few days. If you can’t find what you’re looking for or need help, please contact us!
What it means for you
You don’t have to return any books between 14 July and 6 August.
14 – 26 July:
- LibrarySearch may not show up-to-date locations for everything. Use the “Find it on the shelf” information, and ask for help if you can’t find what you need!
- You can’t recall items through LibrarySearch; if all copies of a book you need are on loan, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to get it for you.
- If you have saved “favourites” you want to keep, please export them before 21 July.
21 – 26 July:
- You can’t log into your library account or pay fines – but don’t worry: you won’t need to renew or pay anything during this time.
- Self-service borrowing won’t work, so please take your items to the Loan Desk. When the Loan Desk is closed, the Welcome Desk will issue items to you.
- Please don’t return any books, unless you absolutely have to.
- You can’t borrow laptops, but student PCs will be available.
24 – 26 July:
- You can use LibrarySearch to find material, but the availability information may not be accurate. Use the “Find it on the shelf” information, and ask for help if you can’t find what you need.
- You can access all our e-resources, including electronic versions of many books.
- We’re launching the upgraded LibrarySearch interface.
- We’re changing the way borrowing works:
- You can now borrow 40 items.
- Your books will be automatically renewed, unless someone has reserved them.
- You’ll only get a fine if you don’t return a book on time that’s been reserved by someone else.
- We’ll still be improving things from here onwards, so if you find any issues, please contact us and let us know!
- Be prepared to return any books that have been reserved by someone else. All your other books will be automatically renewed.
Why we’re doing this
Upgrading LibrarySearch allows us to:
- make borrowing easier and fairer
- make it easier to request things from the Reserve and Thesis Collections, from Medway and Tonbridge, or that aren’t on the shelf
- offer a better mobile experience
- make it easier to request and make appointments to view items from Special Collections and Archives, Canterbury Cathedral, and Rochester Cathedral
- make it easier to ask us to buy new items or borrow them for you from other libraries
- deliver many more improvements in future.
Please bear with us while we’re making these changes. We’re sorry for the inconvenience, and we’re working hard to minimise the disruption. Please let us know if there’s anything more we can do to help.