This is a guest post from Kent Innovation and Enterprise, which runs the University’s Employability Points scheme. If you haven’t yet signed up, click the banner below. New and current members have until 19th March to record your activities and earn points, that can be cashed in for employability prizes – find out more below. 

As you may be aware, the University’s Employability Points (EP) Scheme encourages you to undertake co-curricular activities, which may include attending events, volunteering with museums, joining societies and much more.

For all the activities you undertake, you can claim ‘Employability Points’, and these points can be redeemed for prizes, which include paid internships (cost 200 points), work experience placements (cost 150 points) and work shadowing opportunities (cost 100 points), to name a few.

The deadline to log as many points as possible for 2017/2018 is 19th March 2018 (17:00). After this, you will have the opportunity to cash-in your points for EP rewards!

The EP Scheme has loads of opportunities, ideally suited for History students, and here are just a few examples:

The Royal Engineers Museum are offering exclusive work experience placements focused on the museum’s collection and archives. The museum has a vast collection of military items, ranging from a Harrier Jump Jet to a selection of Victoria Crosses. Furthermore, for just 75 points, you can attend a behind-the-scenes tour of the collection, where you will be able to handle and explore the collections (including access to the armoury)!

Another great organisation offering EP rewards is Canterbury Cathedral, where you can undertake a 2-week placement in their archives and library. There will also be various opportunities to assist with the Canterbury Journey project, which focuses on promoting the cathedral to the local community.

If you would like another opportunity to jump into an archive, Historic Dockyard Chatham, are offering placements in this area. The reward winner in 2016-17 commented:

‘This experience gave me great insight into libraries and archives, which will be useful when applying for jobs in the sector. My increased understanding of databases and office work is hugely transferable and will no doubt come in handy in whatever career I pursue…Arguably the most significant skill I gained from my work experience was confidence in networking.  During my work experience I was able to discuss my ambitions and career prospects with staff, gaining some useful advice along the way. I also gained a number of connections on my LinkedIn profile through my work experience, which will be useful in expanding my working network. My contact’s offer to provide me with a reference for job applications was also hugely helpful.’

By all means, as a History student, you will have a variety of transferable skills which could be applied to marketing (check out how well a Kent History alumni done at Reflect Digital here), business development, tourism, events management and much more!

In particular, Medway Council will be offering internships in Housing, Re-generation, Community, Youth Services and Tunbridge Wells Borough Council will be providing you with the opportunity to shadow members of the senior management team (in addition to a workshop).

One huge opportunity to leave you with is the Civil Service Fast Stream, who are particularly looking to work with History students. This is evidenced by the fact that they will be presenting £150 Amazon voucher to the ‘Highest Scoring EP Student Studying a Heritage Related Degree’! If you are interested in working in central government, there will be two 2-day work shadowing opportunities where you can shadow senior Civil Servants.

Hopefully this has left you inspired to apply for an EP reward this term and ultimately ensure that we boost your employability prospects this summer! Just remember, you need to have your points logged by 19th March 2018.