“The Early Drama module is a fascinating and fun look back at the beginnings of dramatic writing in the English language. As an English and Drama student I enjoyed exploring texts practically and looking at how medieval drama has been and could be performed today. The final project in particular was an exciting opportunity to use our own creativity to explore our favourite aspects of the module in a way that worked best for us. For example, my group filmed and acted in a modern interpretation of the comic subplot from the play Fulgens and Lucres.”

Jack Knoll, June 2014

“I enjoyed studying Early Drama because it gave me the opportunity to explore texts in a practical and interactive way. The early part of the course and the liturgical drama was particularly interesting to study as it highlighted the extent to which society and our attitudes towards religion have changed. The final project allowed us to be as creative as we could and to delve into a text of our choice. The presentations throughout the second half of the year were helpful in preparing us for the project and giving us a greater understanding of the plays we were studying.”

Denise Sharpley, July 2014

“I had no idea what to anticipate when I chose Early Drama as a module choice for my first year; not really having a great knowledge of the medieval and early modern periods, I worried whether I would be able to keep up with each week. But, the lectures were great, full of information giving a broad view and context coverage for each play with each lecturer bringing something new.  In seminars, my seminar leader made it clear what she expected from us and offered to help outside of seminar hours to make sure we were on track and happy.  I was not afraid to ask questions and never felt like I could not seek help if I needed it.

In 2013-14, this module was 25% project-based and that was another daunting prospect, but once the year was spent learning and understanding new plays, the final project worked out to be the opportunity to showcase all you have learned on the module. With some creativity it was amazing to see what each individual and group could achieve.

I have learned so much on this module and it even encouraged me to pick modules for my second year which focus on earlier texts.  I recommend this module to every English student and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.”

Sarah Swift, July 2014

“I definitely saw Early Drama as the most daunting of the four modules I was due to undertake in my first year at Kent, but after just the first lecture, I fell in love with it!  Early Drama was by far my favourite module and as such, has heavily influenced my choices for my second year of study . The module focuses on so much more than just the basic texts outlined on the course description – you are given the opportunity to delve into the rich culture surrounding the plays and gain real insight into the context of each piece. All of the lecturers and seminar leaders are so enthusiastic that they make the course what it is – engaging and fun.  I particularly enjoyed the project element of the module, which initially was something I really worried about. Because of the amount of freedom given to us, the scope of projects was endless and it was fantastic to experience the amount of creativity that went into them.  Overall, I’d highly advise you consider the module when making your choices for first year: should you choose it, you won’t regret it!”

Hannah Kingsman, September 2014