The Library is now open 24/7 until Friday 8th June. This includes all the Bank Holidays! See detailed service hours here.
We are here to help and wish you good luck with your exam revision!
Please read our 24/7 FAQs which will give you useful information of services available in the library and on campus during the 24/7 opening.
Students are kindly reminded to note our “No ID, No Entry” policy. Day Passes are not issued after midnight.
Public Access user and SCONUL users must vacate the library by midnight.
Also please note that we are operating the Unattended Belongings & PCs policy, which means that any items left in the library for a long time will be removed by staff and PCs restarted for another user. Any unsaved documents and files may be lost in the process.
UPDATE for 5th March: heat and power have been restored and we will be opening as usual at 8am on Monday 5th March. Thank you for bearing with us.
3rd/4th March – due to a water leak, there is no power or heat available in the Drill Hall Library, so we have had to remain closed for the weekend – please continue to keep an eye on our Twitter account (@drillhalllib) for any further news.
2nd March: we were open 8am-1pm, but have had to close as the campus is shutting down due to the bad forecasts for the afternoon’s weather.
We aim to open 10am-4pm over the weekend. Please see our Twitter or Facebook feeds for the most up to date info.
The Drill Hall car park is fairly treacherous at the moment, so please be sensible about where you park.
Library and campus remain CLOSED 1st March.
You may have noticed that the weather is not great – travel in the Medway area is very tricky, so the campus (including the library) has been closed for the safety of all staff and students.
UPDATE 1st MARCH 9.30am: CCCU buildings will remain closed until Monday 5th March. For all other campus buildings and services, including the library, the picture is not yet clear. We will continue to update this page as soon as we know anything.
UPDATE 5pm 28th FEB: We have been informed that all 3 Universities at Medway are keeping the campus closed tomorrow (1st March). This will include the Drill Hall. Please do not attempt to come to campus.
The Drill Hall Library closed at middday on 27th February, was closed all day on 28th February and remains closed 1st March. We apologise for any inconvenience to you. The decision to close the library is never taken lightly. In this case, the whole campus is closed. Please continue to monitor communications from your University as this period of inclement weather continues.
No fines will be charged for the days we have been closed or partly closed (Tuesday 27th and Wednesday 28th February, Thursday 1st March).
We hope to be open again as normal soon, and will continue to keep everyone updated through our social media.
Drill Hall Library and car park, morning of 27th February 2018.
Take a look at our Events Calendar to see what sessions we have lined up to help you with your studies.
The Library will be open 24/7 from Friday 5 January until midnight on Friday 12 January.
Welcome to all of our new students, and welcome back to all of those continuing your study at Medway! It’s been a busy summer in the Drill Hall Library and we’d like to tell you about some of our news.
- Those of you who are returning after the summer break will notice some changes in the Archibald Hay Mess. Over the summer, we’ve bought some new furniture to brighten it up a bit – hope you like it!
- We are also using part of the café as an exhibition area. We currently have exhibitions on both world wars – take a look, they’re interesting reading.
- On the subject of exhibitions, we also have a beautiful display of hand-crafted poppies near the mezzanine stairs in the silent zone. On Sunday 10 September, we hosted a Royal Naval Association ceremony to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the bombing of the Drill Hall and the 131 men who lost their lives during World War One. If you are interested in the history of your library, take a look at our history web page.
- If any of our new arrivals would like a library tour, or any help to use the library, please just pop in and see us at the Welcome Desk.
The Royal Naval Association is holding a ceremony outside the Drill Hall Library on Sunday 10th September 2017 to commemorate the men who lost their lives during the
WWI bombing raid of the Drill Hall in September 1917. The parade starts at 10.45am with the service following at 11am.
To find out more about the naval history of the Drill Hall, see our website http://campus.medway.ac.uk/about/history.htm
Here are a few of the ways that the new library management system is changing how you use our services.
- All Medway-based students can borrow 20 books and place up to five simultaneous requests for books. You can reserve books that are on loan to other people, or on the shelves at your University’s other libraries.
- Items on your account will automatically renew unless someone places a reservation on them. This means that if you want a book that is on loan you need to place a reservation to ensure it comes back.
- You can place reservations in your University’s LibrarySearch. If you want an item that isn’t held by your University you can ask us to request it and we will try and get a copy from our partner libraries. Alternatively we can use the Document Supply service.
- You can use your University card at any of your University’s libraries, including the Drill Hall. If you have previously had two accounts or two cards (if you are an Invicta member, if you use more than one campus, or you are CCCU staff), you will find that your accounts have been merged – so you now only need to use your University card.
We have just moved over to a new Library Management System as part of our continued service improvement. You will notice some changes when you log into your library account and if you visit the library to borrow or return books. Please bear with us while we smooth out the inevitable teething problems.
If you have any concerns or queries about your library account please email email@example.com.
We are preparing new services in collaboration with our partners at the University of Greenwich, University of Kent and Canterbury Christ Church University. While we get ready and make the final preparations, there will be some minor disruptions to services this week.
From 21st to 27th July:
- No reservations or document supply requests can be placed, and no fines can be paid.
- Books can be borrowed and returned at the Welcome Desk only.
- Books cannot be renewed – but don’t worry, no books are due back during this week!
However, you can still look books up using the Drill Hall Library catalogue, and you can still access all your e-books, journal articles and databases through your university.
E-mails have gone out to all students and staff, and you can find more information from the Universities below:
Thank you for working with us this week, and we look forward to exciting things to come!