Alumni profile: Siobhain Gaughan (Medway, 2011)

Siobhain Gaughan, who graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Social Sciences at the Medway campus in July 2014, is a sports coordinator at GK Unions on the Medway campus. Her role involves working with students who have volunteered to be on the executive committees for their sports club, and ensuring that the clubs are running smoothly. She also helps coordinate the clubs’ matches against other universities in the UK, and assists in raising the profile of Team Medway via social media.

What have you been up to since graduation?
I started a job as a sports coordinator at GK Unions, the student union on the Medway campus. As I loved my time studying here, I was so happy to be able to stay and work on creating greater experiences for students. It is such a great campus with great potential. We work with lots of students and they are a joy to work with!

Did you know what you wanted to do, career wise, when you left Kent?
I knew I wanted to work in a charity and help people somehow, after taking a keen interest in social policy during my studies. As a student who engaged with the student union, where I helped run the Social Science Society, I appreciated the help and support it can offer to many students, so it seemed like the perfect role for me.

Professionally, what has been the most challenging aspect you have faced since leaving Kent?
Finishing my studies at Kent was a little bit of an adjustment, as I loved the bubble of student life and really enjoyed my lectures. It was sad to leave all that behind, as you make such great friends and get to study the things you really enjoy.

What has been your biggest achievement so far?
My biggest achievement was probably the night of the Team Medway Sports Awards, where we celebrated the many wins and achievements of our sports clubs throughout the year – it was emotional because I felt so proud of the hard work that all our clubs put in throughout the year, and many of them will graduate and use these experiences to go onto greater things. The commitment, determination and pride of the students for the Medway campus was inspiring. I’m not sporty myself, so it was great rewarding them for such impressive sporting achievements when sport can be so challenging sometimes! I really enjoyed supporting the students throughout the year, so the night felt like an achievement after everyone’s hard work.

What are your favourite memories of Kent?
My favourite memory was graduation day. It was in Rochester Cathedral which is stunning, and it was a proud moment for everyone. It was especially nice to graduate after all the hard work over the three years. We had a buffet and drinks reception in Rochester beforehand which my school (School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research) put on, and it was lovely to meet up with all my friends and their parents.