Alumnus Wayne Otto opens new Kent Sport facilities

Wayne Otto

Nine-time World and European karate champion and Kent alumnus Wayne Otto opened the new Kent Sport facilities at Canterbury.

The £4.8 million upgrade of the fitness suite and training facilities at Kent Sport was unveiled by Wayne during a gathering of local athletes and sports organisations. Wayne graduated in 1992 with a BSc in Communications Engineering. He earned nine Karate World Championships by 1997 and retired from competition in 2000. He is currently an international coach, in great demand with national teams and karate federations around the world. Wayne said:

‘I thoroughly enjoyed my experience while studying at Kent and even back then I had access to sporting facilities which helped me progress in my chosen sport. Seeing the facilities available now is quite incredible. I’m delighted to see how far the provision has come and the opportunities for students and aspiring young athletes to excel in sport.’

Kent Sport’s new services include a state of the art fitness suite with three distinct areas for cardio and resistance, rehabilitation and strength and conditioning training, plus a new physiotherapy clinic.

Click here for further details and information about alumni sports membership.