In-Choir within: Alice Scott

Continuing our series meeting new members of the choir. This week, first-year soprano with Minerva Voices, Chorus and the Cecilian Choir, Alice Scott.

How did you get into choral singing ?
I’ve always loved music and choral music has always been a part of my life, but it started properly when I first performed Stainer’s Crucifixion at the age of six.

Great Scott: first-year soprano, Alice

Great Scott: first-year soprano, Alice

What’s your favourite piece ?
It’s impossible to name just one! I love Stanford’s The Bluebird, The Lamb by Tavener, Allegri’s Miserere, Let all Mortal Flesh Keep Silent,  How Shall I sing that Majesty to Coe Fen (the ending always makes me cry) and The Stars in their Courses by James McCarthy.

What’s your best/worst memory about singing in a choir ?
A not-so-fun memory is of my first performance of the Crucifixion – I had super-loud hiccups throughout the whole work and then got completely lost in ‘Fling Wide the Gates…’ I told the conductor it was too fast! I have some wonderful memories over the years, but some of the best include performing in Truro Cathedral, opening Nine Lessons and Carols with the solo verse of Once in Royal David’s City, performing The Stars in their Courses and performing with my friend Matt White, a piece composed by him, This is the Place.

What do you find the most inspirational aspect of choral singing ?
The timeless and uniting power of faith which has inspired composers across the centuries makes choral singing a real delight.  You’re transported as a musician and take the listener on an amazing journey. The works are magical, when simple or complex, and their effect is incredibly prayerful.

Alice is on Twitter as @alicetscott.