American Studies student wins music award

Final year American Studies student, India Bottomley, has been awarded a University of Kent Music Prize this year, for her contribution to music-making at the University.

India (pictured front row left) is the recipient of the Colyer-Fergusson Music Prize, which is awarded annually to a student who has made a major contribution to organising music at the University. The award is made in recognition of her exceptional all-round behind-the-scenes organising and admin skills as Chorus Manager – the issuing and returning of chorus members’ vocal scores and deposits, staff and external membership and liaising closely with the Music Department. India also sings with the University Chorus and Cecilian Choir.

The award was made at a special prize-giving ceremony as part of the Music Scholars’ Recital in Colyer-Fergusson Hall on Tuesday 7 June. Said India;

My time at Kent would not have been the same without the input of the music department. I met my closest friends through our shared love of making music, I have grown in confidence and explored my musicianship more than I ever imagined I would whilst studying American Studies. My degree in American studies has allowed me to explore my passion academically too: my dissertation focused on the role of jazz in New York’s race relations, which meant that I spent a lot of time working on something I love, which I feel both very lucky and grateful for. My best memories of music making at Kent include annual concerts in the Cathedral and most recently my final concert as a UKC student which was a wonderful way to end my time here but it was also very emotional saying goodbye to everyone! The opportunities to make music at the University of Kent are second to none, our amazing Colyer Ferguson building, the dedicated staff of the music department and my fellow committee members made singing in the Chorus and Cecilian choirs the highlights of my time at Kent. I am now working in Intellectual Property legal recruitment and will start studying for a graduate diploma in law come September, with the aim of having a career in international music copyright law, with my focus being on the music industry of course!

Said Dr John Wills, Director of the Centre for American Studies at the University of Kent;

We at the Centre for American Studies, are exceptionally proud of India’s achievements – both a musician and as a student. It has been a pleasure to have India study with us, and we wish her the very best in her future career.

For more information about Music at Kent, please see the Music Department’s blog. For further details about American Studies at Kent, please see the Centre for American Studies website.